Friday, April 01, 2005
is there a verse that you have on your mind more often than the others? a promise you hold to more tightly? a verse that describes your life for a period of time?
Fall 2003:
"Shout joyfully to the Lord, all the earth. Serve the Lord with gladness; Come before Him with joyful singing. Know that the Lord Himself is God; It is He who made us, and not we ourselves; We are His people and the sheep of His pasture. Enter His gates with thanksgiving, and His courts with praise. Give thanks to Him; bless His name. For the Lord is good; His lovingkindness is everlasting, and His faithfulness to all generations." (Psalm 100 NASB)
"Her lamp does not go out at night." (Proverbs 31:18b NASB) ![]()
Spring 2004:
""Make your ear attentive to wisdom, Incline your heart to understanding; For if you cry for discernment, Lift up your voice for understanding; If you seek her as silver, and search for her as for hidden treasures; Then you will discern the fear of the Lord, and discover the knowledge of God." (Proverbs 2:2-5 NASB)
"I lift my eyes up to the mountains; where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. He will not let your foor slip - he who watches over you will not slumber; behold, He who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep . The Lord watches over you - the Lord is your shade at your right hand; The sun will not smite you by day, nor the moon by night. The Lord will protect you from all evil; He will keep your soul. The Lord will guard your going out and coming in from this time forth and forever." (Psalm 121 NASB/NIV)
"Lift up your eyes on high and see who has created these stars, the One who leads forth their host by number, He calls them all by name; Because of the greatness of His might and the strength of His power, not one of them is missing. Why do you say, O Jacob, and assert, O Israel, 'My way is hidden from the Lord, and the justice due me escapes the notice of my God'? Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth, does not become weary or tired. His understanding is inscrutable. He gives strength to the weary, and to him who lacks might, He increases power. Though youths grow weary and tired, and vigorous young men stumble badly, yet those who wait for the Lord will gain new strenth; they will mount up with wings like eagels, they will run and not get tired, they will walk and not become weary." (Is. 40:26-31)
Summer 2004:
"You have taken my companions and loved ones from me; the darkness is my closest friend." (Pslam 88:18 NIV)
"Answer me quickly, O Lord, my spirit fails; Do not hide Thy face from me, lest I become like those who go down to the pit. Let me hear Thy lovingkindness in the morning; for I trust in Thee; Teach me the way in which I should walk; For to Thee I lift up my soul. Deliver me, O Lord, from my enemies; I take refuge in Thee. Teach me to do Your will, for You are my God; Let your good Spirit lead me on level ground, for the sake of Your name, O Lord, revive me. In Your righteousness bring my soul out of trouble." (Ps 143:7-11 NASB)
"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say to the Lord, 'My refuge and my fortress, My God, in whom I trust!' For it is He who delivers you from the snare of the trapper, and from the deadly pestilence. He will cover you with His pinions, and under His wings you may seek refuge; His faithfullness is a shield and a bulwark. You will not be afraid of the terror by night, or of the arrow that flies by day; Of the pestilence that stalks in darkness, or of the destruction that lays waste at noon..... 'Becuase he has loved Me, therefore I will deliver him; I will set him securely on high, because he has known My name. He will call on Me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will rescue him, and honor him. With a long life I will satisfy him, and let him behold my salvation.'" (Psalm 91:1-6, 14-16 NASB)
Fall 2004:
"Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11:28 NASB)
Spring 2005:
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." (Psalm 73:26)
and then the verse that hung in my room since the day i was born...
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born, I set you apart." (Jeremiah 1:5ish)